Monday, August 25, 2008

The Ol' mans build

Last weekend I had the chance to do something I've never done before... My mom and dad split just after I was born and my dad and I really didn't get to know each other that well until I hit my early 20s. Regardless, he and I both had a passion for motorcycles and that's pretty much what brought us back together. Guess what they say is true...it's in the blood. Anyway, he (and my father-in-law) went on the Head Quarters PowerTour with us and we all had a blast. Only problem was that he was on a stock scoot...2008 FLHTCUI...and had a hard time with falling back when we starting hitting the mountains. Needless to say, he wanted to keep that from happening again. So we built our first engine together...an HQ 103ST. He pulled in on Friday eve, had er running by Saturday afternoon then got rained out. After some tuning on Sunday, he rolled home with an "ok for now" tune at 102hp and 122ftlbs with stock head pipes and Vance & Hines Classic Slipons. There's more in there but the head pipes I think are holding the HP back a bit...will keep you updated on that.
Had to throw a couple pics in here...one of em...well, you can tell it was a bit late. I don't think the man has ever seen a clock tick past midnight. We had a great time though...the look on his face was priceless after that first WOT run. He forgot to put his backrest back on and according to him..."that build made that seat REAL SLIPPERY"!! So, grab some beers, pull the grille down to the garage, invite some friends/family over, and support your local HQ Build Party! That's it for now....Happy Motoring!

KB

No comments: